Signs That Your Electrical Wiring May Be Faulty

Outdated, damaged, or otherwise poorly installed and maintained wiring is not something you should take lightly. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, electrical faults cause more than 50,000 house fires each year. Most can be prevented.

Fortunately, most electrical accidents could be prevented by inspecting faulty wiring and fixing it before a serious problem occurs. The following signs that your electrical wiring may be faulty will help you find and fix the problems.

1. Dimming and flashing lights
Dimming and flashing lights are a sign of an overloaded circuit. When other devices are switched on in the circuit, especially motor-driven devices, they draw more amps than when running at a constant rate. This is somewhat normal; very good wiring on a circuit that is close to capacity rarely dims or flashes. However, even with a good connection, dimming or momentary flickering is normal in some cases. However, if it happens frequently, it could be a sign of faulty wiring or a bad circuit breaker that needs to be replaced.

2. Buzzing, charred, or faded sockets, and switches
Buzzing, burnt and discolored sockets or switches are very bad signs of a potentially dangerous situation. The socket or switch should be replaced immediately, but the problem is not always with the socket or switch. In some cases, a faulty circuit in the circuit, usually near an outlet or switch, or a loose connection at the switch is the cause and causes the short. This will cause arcing and a small, short-lived small fire that will char or discolor the surface of the outlet from heat build-up.

3. Warm or vibrating wall outlets
Another way to find out if the wiring in your home has gone bad is to check by touch. Without touching any wiring, directly feel the heat or vibration of your home’s electrical outlets. In either case, have an electrician check and replace loose or damaged cables.

4. Burning Odor and odd odor
When you suspect an electrical problem in your home, use your nose to sniff out the source of the problem. Smell for any burning, smoky, or odd odors in the outlet area as well as your electrical panel. A burning smell means that fire damage may have already started, and if that’s the case, it’s necessary to have it repaired immediately by an electrical professional.

5. Frequently tripped circuit breakers
Your electrical panel contains circuit breakers that serve the important purpose of turning off power when the electrical demand exceeds the circuit’s capabilities. This will prevent overheating and a potential electrical fire.

If your circuit breakers trip frequently, try plugging the appliance into an outlet on a different circuit. If nothing you try help, you may need an electrical panel upgrade. An electrician can add circuits and install outlets to make your home safer and better suited to handle the greater electrical demands of a high-tech lifestyle.

Final words
Older homes need tender loving care and their hidden electrical wiring is no different. As a home age, wiring can wear out for a number of reasons, so it should be checked regularly by a qualified electrician. However, homeowners can perform some of their own routine inspections when they are aware of the various safety issues of the home’s old wiring and when concerns arise; hire an experienced electrician to find and fix the problem(s).

You can also get commercial electrical services for more accurate control and long-term solutions to these problems.

You can also get commercial electric services for a more precise check-up and long-term solution to these issues.

Leave a comment